The World Patient Safety Day (WPSD) is a campaign for all stakeholders in the health care system to work together to improve patient safety. Its a recognition of the scale of avoidable harm linked with medical errors.
It’s a global commitment made by all WHO member states to recognize patient safety as a key health priority and agreeing to take action to reduce patient harm in health care settings.
It is all about getting global healthcare actors involved in:
• Scaling up concerted global action on patient safety
• Putting measures in place to reduce avoidable patient harm
• Sharing awareness in patient safety in care settings
• Raising awareness amongst the public and media on key issues relating to patient safety
• Experimenting new ideas to improve patient safety
• Helping patients to contribute to their own safety